Beat the heat.
With the summer temperatures on the rise, staying hydrated is extremely important! Water is essential to keeping the body’s systems functioning properly and because of the high summer temperatures, it’s important that we drink more of it.
We’ve put together a list of our favorite tips for avoiding dehydration.
- Keep a reusable water bottle with you! If you’ve got water around, it’s likely that you’ll mindlessly sip it rather than having to make a conscious effort.
- Drink enough water to prevent thirst from even occurring!
- Supplement water for sugary sports drinks and sodas.
- Keep in mind that alcohol is very dehydrating. Take proper precautions when consuming alcoholic beverages.
- Hydrate BEFORE you exercise to avoid dehydration after.
- Eat a fair amount of fruits and veggies each day. These foods contain water and are crucial to optimal health.
- Remember that fluid can be replaced with watery foods that contain potassium (soups, veggie juices, ect.)
- Drink water throughout your day. Water has been proven to keep you alert and can prevent you from slipping into that midday slump.
- Drink a glass of water with every meal. This will keep you hydrated, feeling full, and prevent you from overeating.
- Sip on a mug of herbal tea at night. This will add an extra cup of water to your daily tally and will keep you relaxed at night.
Not a fan of drinking plain water? Try adding slices of fruit or a drop of 100% juice for natural flavor. See our recipe for a Cucumber-Lime Refresher below:
1 Pitcher of Water
1 Cucumber Sliced Thin
Juice of 4-5 Limes
Serve this refreshing drink at your next summer gathering!